Explore A Text in a Foreign Language
This recipe examines a text in a language in which you are not fluent and demonstrates a strategic approach to comprehension using text analysis tools.
- An electronic text in a language foreign to you to explore and attempt to comprehend;
- A Concordance tool such as Voyant Document KWICs
- A List Words tool such as Voyant Corpus Term Frequencies
- Take an electronic text in a language which you are not fluent;
- Generate a word list (sorted by frequency) using Voyant Corpus Term Frequencies;
- Consider the Context of the particular words that appear in the resulting list using Voyant Document KWICs;
- In this recipe we will demonstrate a very rudimentary, logical way in which you could explore comprehending a foreign language text by examining the Context of words that you do not recognize. Lacking a dictionary, but by noting re-occurrence and adjacency, a limited comprehension of a text can be attempted.
Next steps / further information
Submitted by sondheim on Sat, 02/26/2011 - 00:00