Exploring a Text for Theoretical Foundation
This example uses this Recipe to import a French language into the TAPoR text analysis environment.
This exercise applies the recipe to a textual example which is freely available on the Internet so you can complete the steps yourself and see the results.
- This tutorial uses Marx’s Communist Manifesto which is widely available online and at http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/classics/manifesto.html.
- Clean up the text using a text editor. In this case there is a table of contents and some additional material which has been added by editors and should not be included in the analysis.
- Login into TAPoR.
- Add youe electronic text to MyTexts.
- Run the TAPoR List Words Tool to generate a word list sorted by frequency, specifying the search term *ism. If you use the website above as your text, you should see something similar to:
Summary: there are 17 unique matches for pattern *ism and there are 93 matches in total for pattern *ism. Words Counts Socialism ---- 38 Communism ---- 21 Criticism ---- 8 Antagonism ---- 7 Socialism& quot ---- 3 Asceticism ---- 2 Absolutism ---- 2 Proudhonism ---- 2 Lassalleanism ---- 2 Sentimentalism ---- 1
- Socialism seems to be the most frequently referred to theoretical foundation. To explore the author's use of this term more fully, build a concordance using the TAPoR Find Words - Concordance Tool
- This will produce a result similar to:
41 entries found. AND COMMUNIST LITERATURE 1. REACTIONARY SOCIALISM a. Feudal Socialism Owing to 1. REACTIONARY SOCIALISM a. Feudal Socialism Owing to their historical position, In this way arose feudal socialism: half lamentation, half lampoon; half the landlord, so has clerical socialism with feudal socialism. Nothing is has clerical socialism with feudal socialism. Nothing is easier than to life and Mother Church? Christian socialism is but the holy water of the aristocrat. b. Petty-Bourgeois Socialism The feudal aristocracy was not working class. Thus arose petty-bourgeois socialism. Sismondi was the head of in England. This school of socialism dissected with great acuteness the aims, however, this form of socialism aspires either to restoring the of self-deception, this form of socialism ended in a miserable hangover. c. German or " True" Socialism The socialist and communist literature of Action" , " True Socialism" , " German Science of , " German Science of Socialism", " Philosophical Foundation of , " Philosophical Foundation of Socialism" , and so on. The of philosophical fantasy. This German socialism, which took its schoolboy task was offered to " True" Socialism of confronting the political movement by this bourgeois movement. German socialism forgot, in the nick of risings. While this " True" Socialism thus served the government as a revolutionary proletariat. " True" Socialism appeared to kill these two And on its part German socialism recognized, more and more, its
Word List (left of the keywords) Summary: there are 101 unique words and there are 209 words in total. 64 words occurred once and 20 words occurred twice. Words Counts Bourgeois ---- 8 The ---- 6 Form ---- 5 Movement ---- 5 German ---- 5 Working ---- 4 Class ---- 4 True ---- 4 Feudal ---- 3 Continental ---- 3 Clerical ---- 2 Germany ---- 2 Petty ---- 2
Word List (right of the keywords) Summary: there are 126 unique words and there are 202 words in total. 96 words occurred once and 16 words occurred twice. Words Counts Was ---- 6 Communism ---- 3 On ---- 3 Feudal ---- 3 Owing ---- 2 Movement ---- 2 Socialism ---- 2 Nothing ---- 2 Terror ---- 2 German ---- 2 Lost ---- 2 Revolutionary ---- 1
- This search returns a list of these key words and the five words on either side of the target word. Several themes and paths for further exploration emerge from this process:
- As a further step, one can use an antonym finding tool and compile a list of opposing theoretical terms which can be examined in a similar fashion.
- Thus we can see how a simple exploration of a text using a root can help us to appreciate the theoretical foundations of a work.
Submitted by Jinman on Wed, 03/08/2017 - 12:33